Homemade Samoa Bars
Decadent bar cookie with a shortbread crust, gooey caramel and coconut topping and chocolate drizzle like the famous Girl Scout Samoa Cookies.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking, Mixing, Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick), cut into small pieces
- 2 cups shredded coconut, toasted at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes
- 8 ounces caramels (I used an 8.1 bag of Werther’s Original Soft Caramels unwrapped)
- 1–2 tablespoon water (use 2 tablespoons if you use Kraft caramels instead of Werther’s)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Chocolate Dip and Drizzle*:
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a 9 × 9-inch baking pan, or line with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Process flour, sugar and butter in a food processor until forms fine crumbs. Pour the crumbs into prepared pan and press into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until base is set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before topping.
- Place the caramels in a microwave-safe bowl with the water and butter, starting and stopping to stir every 30 seconds. When smooth, fold in 1 1/2 cups of the toasted coconut with a spatula.
- Put spoonfuls of the topping all over the shortbread base. Using an offset spatula, spread topping into an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining coconut and gently press into bars. Let topping set until cooled.
- Use the foil or parchment to assist in moving the bars to a cutting board. Cut bars into 16 squares. In a medium bowl, gently melt together the chocolate chips and oil in the microwave. Stop to stir frequently until almost completely melted. Let the residual heat finish the melting process.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Remove less than half the chocolate to a piping bag or a quart Ziploc bag for the final drizzle, and set aside.
- Dip the bottoms of the bars into chocolate, removing excess on the side of the bowl, then placing on the baking sheet to firm up. Repeat with all bars.
- Drizzle each bar with the remaining chocolate using a piping bag or Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off.
- Allow chocolate to cool and firm up before serving.
* Use only half the chocolate dip and drizzle ingredients if you decide to only use the drizzle and not dip the bottoms in chocolate.