Homemade Reese’s Bars
These Homemade Reese’s Bars will make you swoon, especially if you love Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups! Super easy to make, and the perfect no-bake indulgence. Whip up a batch when it’s too hot to turn on the oven or anytime you have a Reese’s craving. They’re even better than your favorite Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups!
If you’re addicted to Reese’s, these No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars are made for you! With only a handful of ingredients, it won’t take long before you dig in! You won’t want to share, they’re just that delicious!
Why You’ll Love these Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Do you adore the chocolate peanut butter combination? Are you a Reese’s fan? Two out of three of my children must have pb cups in their stockings and Easter baskets (yes, I still buy my grown kids holiday treats!). And though I’ve only eaten one courtesy bite of a peanut butter sandwich at age 6 (I was not a fan), I cannot resist peanut butter sweets, especially when it’s one of those super simple No-Bake Desserts.
Well neither can Danielle, my foodie friend who writes the blog Hugs and Cookies XOXO. I had to whip up her Chocolate Topped Peanut Butter Bars. They did not disappoint!! If you’d like to double the filling, check out my Better Than Reese’s Bars, which is this exact recipe but with twice the peanut butter filling. You decide which recipe is calling your name!
How to Make No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
I cut up these irresistible chocolate peanut butter bars and took them to two events. I was not surprised that these were the first to fly off my goodie trays. There’s something about Reese’s fans–they cannot get enough of this sublime combination of chocolate and peanut butter.
As a bonus, these Homemade Reese’s Bars are no bake. Who doesn’t love a No Bake Dessert? Just mix melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar and peanut butter and pat into a pan. Then top with a simple mixture of melted chocolate and a touch of oil. That’s it! There’s no excuse not to make these for the Reese’s lovers in your life! Thanks, Danielle, for another marvelous recipe!!!
PRO-Tip: Cut your bars with a hot dry knife. The heat will help the knife glide right through the chocolate topping. Check the two methods below in my tips. See my post on How to Cut Perfect Bar Cookies for more tips.
Tips for Making These Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Make sure you use smooth peanut butter as chunky would make these difficult to slice. I use Jif brand.
- Top with semisweet or milk chocolate. Milk chocolate will taste even more like Reese’s, but semisweet gives a nice contrast to the very sweet peanut butter layer.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate layer over the bars.
- Adding the oil may seem strange, but it gives a glossy look to the topping and makes the chocolate a little more pliable.
- Slicing chilled bars can be difficult as the chocolate tends to crack. Let the bars sit at room temperature before slicing, and use a hot dry knife to help glide through the chocolate layer.
- The peanut butter layer can be crumbly when slicing, but even imperfect slices taste amazing. Plus, you can press any crumbs back onto the base of the bars using your offset spatula.
- PRO-Tip: I like to carefully hold my knife over the flame of my gas burner to warm up the knife. Do this carefully so not to burn yourself or ruin your knife.
- Alternatively, run your knife under very hot water, then dry the knife blade and slice.
- PRO- Tip: These bars freeze wonderfully. Just layer with wax or parchment paper in an airtight container.
- These bars will keep for 3+ months in the freezer and 3-4 days in the fridge when kept in an airtight container. Though, I think they’d still be tasty up to a week in the refrigerator.
You May Also Like:
If you’re one of those people who can never resist a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, try out some of these amazing Peanut Butter Dessert Recipes. They’ll knock your socks off!!
- Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Best Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Dessert Lasagna
- Tagalong Cookie Bars
- Layered Peanut Butter Fudge
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Layered Peanut Butter Brownies
- Peanut Butter Bark
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- More Dessert Recipes
- More Bar Cookies Recipes
Homemade Reese's Bars Recipe
A homemade version of the classic Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in bar form. Recipe courtesy of Hugs and Cookies XOXO
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Combine butter, graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar and peanut butter in medium bowl.
- When well combined, pat into a well greased or non-stick foil lined 8 x 8 inch pan. Refrigerate while preparing topping.
- Melt chocolate chips and oil together in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so, till smooth.
- Spread over top of peanut butter layer. Refrigerate at least an hour before cutting.
Use a hot knife to cut bars to minimize cracking the chocolate layer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 5g
Two Sweetie Pies
On the second Monday of each month, Danielle and I cook up something from each other’s blog. Every treat I pull from her blog is a show stopper. I never have to worry whether we’ll like it or not. We always do!
Check out Danielle’s social media sites!
This recipe was first shared in January, 2015. The text and photos were updated in 2019.
49 Comments on “Homemade Reese’s Bars”
Easily one of my favorite flavor combos! Such a delicious recipe!
I love these! Never thought about making my own! I am going to try these with almond butter, that is our favorite!
nothing beats pb & chocolate! can’t wait to make these for my family
oh yeah cant go wrong with this easy recipe to share all summer long at parties! love it!
Muah!!! They are delish!!! ((hugs))
OMG those look delicious! I love all things peanut butter.
That is one generous helping of peanut butter. Love it!
Double the peanut butter, double the deliciousness! Excellent choice, Liz!
Did I read that right, Liz? At age 6 you took a bite of a PB sandwich and said no thank you? Well, this Reese’s and anything PB fan is grateful you’ve shared this yummy-in-a-hurry no-bake dessert! =)
YES, I do love Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups! This bar recipe is a keeper! Peanut butter and chocolate together are always a hit!
Your reese’s bars should be sold, please say you will think about it! 😛
Choc Chip Uru
Oh yes, I’ll have a box full. I have 2 large bottles of organic peanut butter, I need to make these soon. Perfect.
I rarely buy candy bars like this but when I do it often is Reese’s. Love the pb and choco combo. These bars, improved on an already great recipe, looks so amazing – salivating now.
Liz these bars looks divine ! I can’t start my résolutions with these delicious temptations !!
If I made a batch of these bars I wouldn’t leave them alone until they were gone. I don’t think there is a more delicious combination of flavors.
Holly molly! Who wouldn’t be thrilled to devour such scrumptious bars? Chocolate and peanut butter together make a winner combination.
Easy-to-make and the most delicious bars!!
These look so divine Liz, I love how simple these treats are.
Simply damn delicious sweet bites!!!
Um. Hell, yes!