Homemade Pretzel Rolls
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 rolls 1x
- Category: Snack, Yeast Bread
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope instant yeast (I used Red Star Platinum Yeast)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 generous pinch of celery seeds
- 1 cup hot milk (125°F to 130°F)
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg white, whisked
- Coarse salt
- Combine flours, yeast, salt, brown sugar and celery seeds in food processor and blend. Add milk while the processor is running and let knead for about a minute. Process 1 minute to knead. Place dough in a greased bowl, flipping over so that all sides are greased. Cover with plastic wrap, then a towel and let rise in a warm spot till doubled, 35-50 minutes.
- Flour baking sheet. Punch dough down and knead on lightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 8 pieces. Form each dough piece into ball and place on floured baking sheet. Flatten balls slightly.Using a serrated knife, cut an X across top of each dough ball. Cover with a towel and let dough balls rise until almost doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease another baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bring 8 cups water to boil and add baking soda and salt (water will foam up). Add 4 rolls at a tune and cook 30 seconds per side. Using slotted spoon, transfer rolls to the prepared sheet with cut side up. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Brush rolls with egg white glaze. Sprinkle tops with coarse salt. Bake rolls until brown, 22-25 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Serve rolls warm or room temperature.
Technique adapted from Bon Appetit.