Ham and Mushroom Strata
A make ahead breakfast casserole full of ham, mushrooms and cheddar!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8–10 slices challah bread (thickness of sandwich bread)
- 5 ounces Black Forest ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar, divided (I used Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar)
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the mushrooms till golden. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with half the bread slices, trimming to fit. Top with ham, then sprinkle with one cup of the grated cheese, followed by the mushrooms. Add enough of the remaining bread to cover the filling.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, half the thyme, mustard, salt, and pepper till well blended. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350º. Bake uncovered till puffed and lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Mix remaining cheese and thyme and sprinkle over casserole. Return to oven for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe doubles easily.