My meat and potatoes husband extends his carnivore preferences to brunch, too. This cheesy Ham & Mushroom Strata hit the mark.
Ham & Mushroom Strata
I’ve baked up iterations of this strata for years and years. This time, I swapped out my usual cheese for my favorite Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar. Smart move. Plus I sliced up some challah instead of a sturdy sandwich bread. You know the drill. Just make it your own. The bread, the cheese, the inclusion of mushrooms are all up to you.
Bill’s mom tried to trick him into trying mushrooms by calling them fried marshmallows. Didn’t work. I just eat his share. This breakfast casserole is marvelous with ham, but you could certainly add Italian sausage or even bacon if you prefer.
Welcome to the fourth annual #BrunchWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. We are so excited to have you join us this year as we celebrate Brunch and prepare for Mother’s Day. 37 Bloggers from around the country will showcase their best brunch dishes, from cocktails to cakes, breakfast breads, tarts, and quiche – there is something for everyone! Our amazing Sponsors have donated some great prizes for the #BrunchWeek giveaway. Thank you so much, Sponsors, for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and we’d love if you would take a moment to read about it and what you can win!
Make sure you pop over to Monday’s Raspberry Coffee Cake post to enter the massive Brunch Week Giveaway!
- Aperol Cocktails by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Grapefruit Rosemary Mocktails by Sweet Beginnings
- Teh Tarik (Malaysian Pulled Tea) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Homemade Crumpets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cinnamon Scones with Salted Caramel Drizzle by Family Around the Table
- Cannoli French Toast by Cooking In Stilettos
- Cinnamon Cobblestone Bread by My Catholic Kitchen
- Orange Popvers by The Chef Next Door
- Pretzel Bagels with Roasted Jalapeno Cream Cheese by The Texan New Yorker
- Strawberries and Cream Sweet Rolls by The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple Fritters by The Suburban Soapbox
- Blueberry Salad with Green Onion-Poppy Seed Dressing by Love & Confections
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Caramelized onion, Bacon, and Cheddar Egg Tart by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Breakfast Quesadillas with Bacon and Cheesy Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet by Brunch-n-Bites
- Crab Souffle by A Day in the LIfe on the Farm
- Picante Omlette Pie by Feeding Big and more
- Slow Cooker Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Breakfast Casserole by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Curried Fish Tacos by Nik Snacks
- Ham and Mushroom Strata by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Croque Monsieurs by Making Miracles
- Roman Breakfast Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Chicken Salad by The Barbee Housewife
- Spiced Marinated Lamb Lollipops by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free Citrus Pastries by Gluten Free Crumbley
Ham and Mushroom Strata #BrunchWeek
A make ahead breakfast casserole full of ham, mushrooms and cheddar!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8–10 slices challah bread (thickness of sandwich bread)
- 5 ounces Black Forest ham, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar, divided (I used Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar)
- 1 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the mushrooms till golden. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom with half the bread slices, trimming to fit. Top with ham, then sprinkle with one cup of the grated cheese, followed by the mushrooms. Add enough of the remaining bread to cover the filling.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, half the thyme, mustard, salt, and pepper till well blended. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350º. Bake uncovered till puffed and lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Mix remaining cheese and thyme and sprinkle over casserole. Return to oven for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe doubles easily.
Disclosure: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Vidalia Onion Committee, Sage Fruits, Nielsen-Massey, KitchenIQ, and Le Creuset for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.