Grilled Pork Báhn Mì Sandwich
The classic Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwich made with grilled pork
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3-6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Entree, Sandwich, Pork
- Cuisine: Asian, Vietnamese
Pickled Carrots and Diakon Radish
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar (may substitute white vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups julienned peeled carrots and daikon radish
For grilled pork
- 1 pound pork loin roast, frozen for an hour or two, then sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1–2 thin crusted baguettes
- Soy sauce
- English cucumber, sliced thinly the diagonal
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced or candied jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Make pickled vegetables. In a small saucepan, mix together sugar, vinegar and salt. Heat till sugar and salt have dissolved, then remove from heat and add vegetables. Mix to combine and allow to stand till vegetables soften, at least 30 minutes. Drain before using.
- Mix together marinade ingredients in a large zip-loc bag. Add pork and seal. Mix so that pork is covered with marinade and put in fridge for at least an hour.
- When pork has marinated at least an hour, grill pork till browned on both sides.
- Slice the baguette, then generously spread mayonnaise on the bottom of the baguette. Sprinkle mayo with soy sauce.
- Layer with pork, drained pickled vegetables, cucumber slices, fresh or candied jalapeno slices, fresh cilantro. Smear mayo on top half of baguette. Cut baguette into thirds and serve.
Freezing the pork for at least an hour allows it to firm up and makes it easier to slice thinly. You may wish to remove some of the interior bread to make room for the fillings.
Total time does not include freezing time or marinating time.