How to cure salmon with salt and sugar!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 20 servings 1x
- Category: Seafood, Appetizer
- Method: Curing
- Cuisine: Scandinavian
- 4 pounds boned salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 bunches fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- Wrap baking sheet in plastic wrap, then line with parchment. Place fillets baking sheet, skin side down. Remove any bones.
- Mix together pepper, sugar and salt. Sprinkle over fillets. Place dill over salmon, then drizzle with Cognac.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then top with another baking sheet. Place a heavy object on top of the second baking sheet (I used cast iron popover pans).
- Every 12 hours, flip the salmon pieces and cover with new plastic wrap. Continue for a total of 3-4 days.
- To serve, scrape off dill and spices. Pat dry. Slice thin pieces on the diagonal.
Inspired by recipes from Emeril and Julia Child
Total time is 3-4 days for curing.