Gooey Butter Bars
This classic St. Louis treat has stood the test of time. Made with a cake mix, it’s a super easy dessert.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box butter cake mix (you may substitute yellow cake mix if desired)
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or 1 box), plus more to sprinkle over finished bars
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix together the dry cake mix, melted butter and 2 of the eggs. Spread evenly and pat into the bottom of the prepared pan. Batter will be thick.
- With a hand mixer, beat together the remaining 2 eggs, powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the crust. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve. These WILL be gooey when you slice them.