Gooey butter bars are an easy one pan dessert that starts with a box of yellow cake mix! When time is tight and dessert options are short, I turn to this classic, semi-homemade dessert recipe for Gooey Butter Bars for a quick and easy treat.
Gooey Butter Bars
When the kids were wee ones, I had a few quick go-to recipes. The classic chocolate chip cookies and bars, brownies from a box (they preferred these to my homemade version. Sigh.) and these gooey butter bars. Made with a box of yellow cake mix, there was little measuring and a lot of sugar! The hubby, the fourth family member with a kiddie palate, loved these sugar laden gems, too. I must admit, I’d eat them, too, but I wasn’t a fan of the artificial flavor from the box mix.
How to Make Gooey Butter Bars
Eventually, I started using a butter cake mix instead of the yellow and found this version much more palatable. A slosh of vanilla was an additional flavor enhancer, not in the original recipe from one of my nurse colleagues. One December, way back when I was single, this same friend and I baked up a bunch of sweets for our oncology unit staff. I think they were shocked that either of us had any culinary skills. I was the gal eating a bag of popcorn for dinner on break. But I digress. This is not a gourmet recipe, but fits the bill when you need a quick recipe to feed a group. I bet that someone will beg for the recipe!
To make gooey butter bars, you may need:
- 1 box butter cake mix (you may substitute yellow cake mix if desired)
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or 1 box), plus more to sprinkle over finished bars
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix together the dry cake mix, melted butter and 2 of the eggs. Spread evenly and pat into the bottom of the prepared pan. Batter will be thick.
- With a hand mixer, beat together the remaining 2 eggs, powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the crust. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve. These WILL be gooey when you slice them.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 80mg Carbohydrates: 23g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 22g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g