After making this beautiful pavlova for a little soirée at a friend’s house, I decided to whip up some brownies to contribute as well. When I first saw Lindsey’s version topped with Ghirardelli’s raspberry dark chocolate squares, my head started swirling with ideas. My kids love the milk chocolate caramel squares, so I doubled her brownie recipe and added my own twist…..mmmmmm….irresistible!
Adapted from Gingerbread Bagels
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 5.32 ounce bags of Ghirardelli Milk & Caramel Squares (pull out 15 to use whole, and chop the remaining coarsely...about 6-8 pieces per square.)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 9 x 13 pan with nonstick foil or grease well. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugars and butter till well blended, 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Add vanilla and mix till combined.
- Add sifted dry ingredients in two batches, mixing in slowly till combined. Scrape bowl with spatula and mix again till combined.
- Spread half the brownie batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the chopped candy over batter followed by the chocolate chips. Cover with remaining batter, using offset spatula to smooth top.
- Bake 35 minutes or till middle of brownies appears set. It's hard to test with a toothpick due to the gooey chocolate chips.
- Cool on rack about 20-30 minutes, then press the remaining Milk and Caramel Squares evenly across top of slightly cooled brownies. Cool completely before cutting.
- I trimmed the perimeter and cut one brownie for each caramel square.
- Yield: 15 brownies