German Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
Cupcake sized brownies filled with gooey coconut filling
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 14 cupcakes
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sticks (1 cup), butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs,
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Filling (there will be some leftover. Feel free to use on top of cupcakes to garnish):
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2/3 plus 1/4 cup coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- To make filling, whisk together sugar and cream in a small saucepan. Whisk in egg yolks, then whisking constantly cook over medium low heat till mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat and add butter and mix till melted.
- In a medium bowl, mix together coconut, pecans and a pinch of salt. Pour egg mixture over coconut mixture and mix till combined.
- Chill for an hour, then scoop out approximately 2 teaspoons of filling and place mounds on a parchment lined baking sheet.Freeze for a few hours or overnight.
- When filling is very cold, roll mounds into spheres and return to freezer while preparing the brownie batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a 12 capacity muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Microwave the butter and the two sugars in a heat safe bowl for about a minute, stir and microwave up to another 1½ minutes or till all the butter is melted and mixture is starting to bubble. Carefully remove bowl to work surface.
- Whisk in chocolate chips till melted. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt just till combined. Remove filling from freezer and using your fingers, shape into round balls (diameter should be less than the size of the bottom of the muffin tin).
- Place about 2 tablespoons of brownie batter into the bottom of each muffin tin, then add the filling and follow with another scoop of batter.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Let cool in pans before removing cupcakes to cooling rack.
- Make ganache by microwaving chocolate and cream for about 1 minute. Allow to sit till chocolate is melted, then whisk till smooth. If chocolate is not completely melted, microwave another 30 seconds. Allow to cool, till thickened, but still pourable. Spoon bit onto center of each cupcake. Let ganache firm up before serving.