Ganache Topped Caramel Bars
Three-layered caramel bars with a shortbread crust and rich ganache topping.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar, our lovely Gold Sponsor
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, cut into 1/2 tablespoon-sized cubes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Pulse flour and sugar in a food processor to mix. Add butter and pulse till the butter is the size of small peas. Add the yolks and pulse till dough comes together. Pat into a greased or non-stick foil lined 9 x 13 pan. Bake till edges are lightly browned, 12-14 minutes. Let cool while preparing caramel.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together all caramel ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking often till mixture comes to a boil. Clip candy thermometer to the pan and continue whisking and cooking till caramel reaches 225º. Pour caramel over crust and let cool till caramel is set.
- Make ganache by combining chocolate, cream and corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat gently, stopping and stirring till chocolate is almost melted. Let rest for a couple minutes, then stir till smooth. Spread over caramel layer and chill for at least an hour before cutting. Store bars in refrigerator.