Fresh Strawberry Tartlets
Sweet pastry crusts filled with a light cheesecake filling and topped with gorgeous ripe strawberries.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 tarts 1x
- Category: Dessert, Tart
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons cold shortening, diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Fresh strawberries(12-16 depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly (or other red jelly)
- Put flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix. Add butter and shortening and pulse till the butter is the size of peas. Add water and pulse till dough comes away from sides of bowl and forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- After dough has chilled, roll out on lightly floured surface, then cut big enough rounds to fit into four 4½ diameter tart pans. Remove excess dough. Chill filled tart pans if dough has softened.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Line tart pans with non-stick foil and fill with beans or ceramic pie weights. Bake for about 10 minutes, then remove the foil, prick the bottoms of the tarts with a fork and bake for another 15 minutes or till tart shells are lightly browned. Cool.
- Make filling. With hand mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice till light and fluffy. In another bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks and combine with the cream cheese mixture. Spread into cooled tart shells. Top with sliced or halved strawberries. Gently warm jelly in the microwave. Brush jelly over berries, then chill tarts for 30-60 minutes before serving.
Total time is about 2 hours with cooling and chilling included.