Flourless Double Chocolate Cake
SO much to love about this Flourless Double Chocolate Cake: Decadent, intense chocolate flavor, and absolutely irresistible!!
A flourless chocolate cake is always my first choice when I’m asked to bring a dessert to a party. Who doesn’t love chocolate? Or an easy dessert that doesn’t involve piping frosting or rolling pie crust?
Flourless Double Chocolate Cake
I love the ease of recipes like a One Bowl Chocolate Cake as well as this Flourless Double Chocolate Cake from the King Arthur Flour website. The latter intrigued me due to the addition of Dutch-process cocoa.
Double chocolate? Double intensity. This was our Easter dessert this year, along with the traditional fudge lamb, of course.
Tips for Making This Flourless Chocolate Cake
I have to admit, this is a cake for you die-hard chocoholics only. I usually substitute semi-sweet for bitter-sweet chocolate to scale down the chocolate intensity in recipes as I did with this cake. But the addition of the rich, dark Dutch-process cocoa brought back that uber dark chocolate taste.
- If you love dark chocolate, go ahead and use bittersweet chocolate in this recipe.
- I used chocolate chips in this recipe, but chocolate bars melt more smoothly if you’re making this cake for a special occasion. It will make your ganache even more luscious!
- Bill and the boys devoured their slices, but mine needed a big mound of sweetened whipped cream to tone down the richness. Katie, who prefers milk and white chocolate, took one whiff and sliced some fudge off our fudge lamb instead.
- This is a recipe for the true dark chocolate lovers in your life, a dark chocolate cake topped with a glossy ganache. Go ahead and dip some fresh strawberries in any leftover ganache. You will make someone very happy!
More Chocolate Cake Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Poke Cake from Scratch from Spend with Pennies
- Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake
- Best Ever German Chocolate Cake from A Dash of Sanity
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Cold Chocolate Snacking Cake from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Princeville Hotel’s Flourless Chocolate Torte
- More Chocolate Recipes
And if you’re a newer baker, check out my Best Baking Tips!
You Might Need:
- Small Offset Spatula
- Round Cake Pan, 8 inch
- 10 Piece Nesting Glass Mixing Bowl Set
- Parchment Paper Liners for 8-inch diameter cake pans
Flourless Double Chocolate Cake Recipe
One layer, flourless and absolutely decadent!
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease an 8" round cake pan, place a parchment round in the bottom of pan and grease the paper. Set aside.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl, and stop and stir at 30 second intervals till the butter and chips are melted.Stir until the chips melt and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, espresso powder, and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, beating briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, and mix just to combine.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top with offset spatula.
- Bake the cake for 25 minutes. Top will look crusted over.
- Remove cake from the oven, and cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen cake from pan around the perimeter with a knife or thin metal spatula. Flip cake onto serving platter and remove parchment.
- To make the glaze: Place chocolate and cream in microwave safe bowl. Stop and stir at 30 second intervals till chocolate is almost completely melted. Let sit a minute or so and whisk till smooth.
- Carefully pour and spread glaze over top of cake. Allow to set for a couple hours before serving.
For less calories, cut this cake into 12 slices instead of 8.
Recipe adapted from the KAF website.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 4gSugar: 43gProtein: 6g
I’m starting a new series of Skinny Tips. How I keep slim is one of my most frequent inquiries. I’ll feature tips on some of my upcoming blog posts.
Tip #4: Share or give away your dessert leftovers. Divvy up those calories! Get them out of sight (freezing works, too). That’s what I did with this cake…Tom and his roommates got a large wedge!
59 Comments on “Flourless Double Chocolate Cake”
Just stop it! How am I supposed to follow your #skinnytips if you post crazy decadent, chocolate desserts like this?! I also am completely unable to freeze desserts and then leave them alone. It’s like they are on the counter. Must share with other.
Pinned for my next flourless chocolate cake recipe!
Did you say die-hard chocoholic? Obviously this recipe is meant for me! I love flourless chocolate cake, and double chocolate is always better!
I think I want to visit your house for Easter Liz. What an amazing dessert, definitely a chocolate lover’s dream come true. I love that beautiful ganache, it looks so decadent.
I would’ve happily taken this cake off your hands, Liz … only to save you from the calories because I’m a thoughtful person that way. Not that I would’ve devoured it all myself 😉 I am a die hard, dark chocolate lover so this cake sounds like it was made with me in mind. That dark glossy ganache just takes it over the top. I love this!
Now this is my kind of dessert. Looks luscious, Liz!
Based on your last little note this cake is perfect for my mom and I. Dark chocolate through and through. This cake looks amazing!
OH YESS this diehard chocoholic would LOVE this cake! Flourless chocolate cakes are always fab and then pour some chocolate ganache on top?? SHUT UP!
Liz, this looks gorgeous… but I think I’d need to spend an hour at the gym every day if I made it!
flourless chocolate cakes are my favorite chocolate cakes. it looks delicious!
I first read that title as “Chocolate Insanity”—LOL. Might be more apt b/c this is amazingly insane in a good chocolatey way!
I’m sure you’ve heard that quote, Liz – “Forget love, I’d rather fall in chocolate” – I think it was spoken with this cake in mind. Beeeeeaaauuuuuuitiful!
such a glossy,chocolaty heaven this cake is….got to try this out for this week’s dessert,looks beautiful,thanks 🙂
Oh my, this does look like a very rich dessert! Had to pop over to see your lamb too-so cute! Happy Memorial Day Liz-enjoy:@)
What beautiful and georgeous cake Lizzy, chocolate and strawberries look amazing!
Oh my.. I saw the image first on Facebook.. and came quickly to your page.. It looks incredible good. My kind off dessert … Oh how I wish one slice.
Liz, this is the kind of cake I love… like you, I don’t shy away from chocolate intensity either! Thank you.
Liz, I am drooling. Send me a piece please?!
Mmm.. cake looks moist chocolaty and just irresistible!
I do love chocolate but reading your description made my teeth tingle. I know what you mean about giving away left overs, I did just that with my FILs 90th birthday cake.