Flourless Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
A rich, dense flourless chocolate cake topped with a made from scratch marshmallow frosting!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the cake:
- 2½ sticks butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup hot coffee plus 1 tsp. vanilla
For the meringue and chocolate drizzle:
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the 2 chocolates in the top of a double boiler and stir until melted over low heat.
- Put eggs, brown sugar and salt in mixing bowl.
- Place mixing bowl over the water from the double boiler and whisk to warm eggs, about two minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to the stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- On low, add the coffee and vanilla, then the melted chocolate.
- Once mixed add the butter slowly to incorporate.
- Pour into pan and bake 30-35 mins until toothpick comes out with few crumbs.
- Cool, run knife around edge and remove ring.
- Microwave the chocolate, butter and corn syrup until melted.
- Whisk the sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and ⅓ cup water in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- With a handheld mixer, beat on low then slowly increase to high to reach soft peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and continue beating until meringue has stiff peaks.
- Spread on cooled cake make peaks with a fork or offset spatula. Drizzle with the melted chocolate.