Flank Steak Roulades
Butterflied flank steak is filled with spinach and mushrooms and rolled before roasting.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings depending on size of flank steak 1x
- Category: Entree, Beef
- Method: Rolling, Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- 1 flank steak, butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6–8 ounces slice Provolone cheese
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Have the butcher butterfly your flank steak or do it yourself at home (slice steak horizontally almost all the way through so you can open it like a book. Pound gently with a meat mallet to make it all a similar thickness). Sprinkle each side generously with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning salt. Set aside
- Heat oil in a saute pan, then add mushrooms, shallots and thyme. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until mushrooms and shallots are soft. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lay the beef flat with the grain running from left to right. Lay the Provolone over the beef, leaving a one inch border. Arrange the spinach mixture over the Provolone. Roll up the steak away from you and tie it at 2-inch intervals with butcher’s twine.
- Place in a greased baking dish or on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the internal temperature is about 130º for medium rare or your desired temperature. Remove from oven and cover with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.