These Festive Blue Cheese Balls received rave reviews from my friends. Rolled in either dried cranberries or pistachios, they are a welcome addition to a cheese tray or appetizer platter!
Party Cheese Balls
A cheeseball surrounded by crackers is a staple at cocktail parties. Rolled in pecans, they usually have a cream cheese base and are filled with a variety of ingredients. For a twist, I’ve made these bite-sized and rolled them in dried cranberries and chopped pistachios!
Both coatings add another texture to complement the creamy interior with a subtle pungency from the blue cheese. I served these to a group of my girlfriends over the lunch hour. Needless to say, they were a huge hit! I think these cheese balls may be one of my favorite holiday appetizers!
Nothing But Options!
This easy cheese balls recipe is easily adaptable—use cheddar instead of blue cheese and roll in walnuts, or try feta or goat cheese! Another option is to make a large cheese ball or even a log. Serve with crackers of your choice. My friends seemed to prefer those rolled in cranberries—the sweetness played well off the blue cheese. But I love the look of the two different coatings. Plus they’re all decked out for the holidays in red and green!
A couple of things to help you make the delicious blue cheese balls recipe:
More Blue Cheese Recipes You’ll Love:
- Buttermilk Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes from Foodie Crush
- Best Blue Cheese Salad Dressing from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Baked Blue Cheese Dip from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Winter Salad with Apples, Pecans, Blue Cheese and Dried Cherries from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blue Cheese Mac ‘N’ Cheese Recipe from Sweet Phi
Festive Blue Cheese Balls
Delectable bite sized blue cheese balls rolled in cranberries and pistachios
- Yield: Serves 10+
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 1/2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- A dash of hot sauce
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese, I used Maytag
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- Chopped pistachios and dried cranberries to garnish
- Add first 7 ingredients (cream cheese through salt) to a mixing bowl. With a hand-held mixer, blend until smooth and well combined. Stir in blue cheese and jelly. Chill for about an hour.
- Roll into small balls, then roll into either pistachios or cranberries till coated.
More festive holiday cheese appetizer recipes to try:
Goat Cheese Apple Rosemary Thins, from Reluctant Entertainer
Smoked Salmon Cucumber Cream Cheese Appetizers, from Saving for Dessert