Grilled eggplant slices wrapped around a ricotta mozzarella filling and baked topped with marinara make for a lovely meatless meal!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 44 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 medium eggplant (or 2 pounds small eggplant), peeled and sliced 1/4 thick (I recommend peeling even though I did not)
- Salt, to draw out moisture from eggplant
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat eggplant
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more to sprinkle over top of rollatini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (check out my easy marinara sauce)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Lay eggplant slices out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about 15 minutes to draw out moisture.
- Rinse off eggplant and pat dry. Heat grill pan or outdoor grill. Brush eggplant with olive oil and grill till tender. Let cool slightly.
- Mix together egg, ricotta, cheeses, basil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Grease 8 x8 pan. Spoon some marinara over the bottom of the pan, reserving some to top eggplant.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of ricotta filling on small end of each eggplant slice. Roll up and place seam-side down in the pan. Top with remaining marinara and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or till hot. Sprinkle with chopped basil or garnish with sprigs of basil to serve.