Grilled eggplant slices wrapped around a ricotta mozzarella filling & topped with marinara created a fabulous Eggplant Rollitini, a tasty meatless meal.
There are some foods I just can’t sell around here. Eggplant appears to be high on that list. The boys took their cursory bites, but the picky hubby didn’t budge. I suspected this would be the case, so baked up a small batch and reserved the tasty leftovers for my lunch.
Meatless Meal with Eggplant
My first encounter with eggplant was my mom’s moussaka. She loved testing out new recipes—whether from her New York Times Cookbook or her international friends from the university. A Greek family lived down the street and I’m certain it was their recipe that my sisters and I refused to eat. We were being obstinate and didn’t want to try the new veggie my mom was introducing to the family. So I can’t totally fault my husband’s picky genes for this snub by my children.
At least the boys tried this eggplant rollatini! The hubby did not. I had a teeny ray of hope since he admitted having (and enjoying) octopus and sea bass in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago! But knowing their palates, I had an alternate entree for the meat lovers and I was happy to have the rest of this eggplant rollatini recipe all for myself!
Eggplant Rollatini with Ricotta and Mozzarella
Since I figured I’d be the only taker, I used small Japanese eggplant and made a fraction of my recipe. I’d recommend peeling your vegetable as it was a bit of a challenge to cut (and bite) through the cooked skin. But the filling was lovely as was the marinara topping. Those menfolk don’t know what they’re missing. If you have vegetarian guests for the holidays, this Eggplant Rollatini with ricotta and mozzarella is a marvelous recipe to have up your sleeve! And if this Italian-inspired dish doesn’t fit your needs, check out a few more amazing meatless meals below.
More Vegetarian Entrees You’ll Love:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by The Crumby Cupcake
- Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- Penne alla Vodka
- More Easy Vegetarian Recipes
- 2 medium eggplant (or 2 pounds small eggplant), peeled and sliced 1/4 thick (I recommend peeling even though I did not)
- Salt, to draw out moisture from eggplant
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat eggplant
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more to sprinkle over top of rollatini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (check out my easy marinara sauce)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Lay eggplant slices out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about 15 minutes to draw out moisture.
- Rinse off eggplant and pat dry. Heat grill pan or outdoor grill. Brush eggplant with olive oil and grill till tender. Let cool slightly.
- Mix together egg, ricotta, cheeses, basil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Grease 8 x8 pan. Spoon some marinara over the bottom of the pan, reserving some to top eggplant.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of ricotta filling on small end of each eggplant slice. Roll up and place seam-side down in the pan. Top with remaining marinara and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or till hot. Sprinkle with chopped basil or garnish with sprigs of basil to serve.