These Easy Molten Lava Cakes appear ordinary from the outside until your fork releases a slow flow of delicious, fudgy “lava.” Six simple ingredients, a little mixing, and a short time in the oven, and you can swoon, too!
No one would ever pass up a Molten Chocolate Cake at our house!
Easy Molten Lava Cakes
I was immediately intrigued when I first saw a recipe for chocolate lava cakes years ago. The appeal of molten chocolate lava could not be denied. Unfortunately, all the recipes I encountered called for 6 ounce ramekins which I could not find. I finally gave up the hunt for these elusive dishes and bought a dozen 8-ounce ramekins, and they worked perfectly. One of my first attempts was this Nigella Lawson recipe, and it did not disappoint! Warm, decadent and incredibly delicious!
Tips for Making Easy Molten Chocolate Cakes
These delectable molten chocolate cakes ooze a rich, fudgy sauce with the first bite, and have become a most requested dessert and a holiday favorite. A few tips will help you have perfect results every time.
- Since oven temperatures vary, your baking time may not be the same as mine. When you make these for the first time, you may want to test bake one. No lava? You’ve baked them too long. Collapsing cake? You haven’t baked them long enough.
- Since the filling is basically unbaked cake batter, you could be exposing yourself to salmonella. If feeding to the very young, elderly or immune-suppressed, I’d recommend using pasteurized eggs.
- Make sure your ramekins are well greased as well as the top of the parchment round you place inside the ramekin.
- I run a knife around the perimeter after these come out of the oven, for the easiest release. I also let the ramekins cool for a few minutes before flipping so the outer portion of the cake has time to firm up a bit.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chocolate Craving Cake from I Am Baker
- White Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Chocolate Lava Cookies
- Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake
- Layered Chocolate Meringue Cake
- Chocolate Lava Cakes
- How to Make Lava Cakes
- More Chocolate Recipes
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing the ramekins
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 400º. Butter six 8 ounce ramekins. Line the bottom of each with a round of parchment, then butter the top side of the parchment.
- Gently melt the chocolate in the microwave, starting with 60 seconds, then stirring and microwaving at 30 second increments till smooth and totally melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- Cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix well. Mix in flour till combined, then stir in chocolate. Blend to form a smooth batter.
- Divide batter evenly between the 6 ramekins, smoothing the tops. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and invert onto serving plates or bowls. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and garnish with berries if desired.
These can be made a few hours in advance and parked in the refrigerator till needed. Bake an extra 2 minutes if chilled first.
6 ounce ramekins work well, too.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 4gSugar: 48gProtein: 7g