Easy Bacon and Egg Strata
A crowd pleasing make ahead breakfast or brunch entree.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups seasoned croutons (I used two 5-ounce packages of seasoned Texas toast croutons)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crumbled cooked bacon
- Place croutons in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.Then layer with cheese and red bell pepper. Whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the bacon. Pour over croutons and cheese.
- You may cover casserole and refrigerate overnight at this point or go ahead and bake immediately.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325º. Sprinkle the top with bacon. Bake for about 60 minutes or until puffed and set in the center. If you prepped early and chilled overnight, you might need to extend the cooking time up to 90 minutes.
You can easily make half a batch. Bake in an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.