Double Chocolate Thumbprints
Chocolate laden cookies adapted from Fine Cooking
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 5 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
For the chocolate filling:
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into 3 pieces
- M and M’s, optional garnish
- Or use Caramel or Plain Hershey’s Kisses instead of M and M’s
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder on medium speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until blended after each addition, then mix in vanilla. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and mix till combined, then add flour mixture. Mix just till incorporated.
- Place tablespoons of dough about 1-1/2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake till the cookies are puffed and crackled, about 8-10 minutes.
- When the cookies are just out of the oven, and you plan to use the ganache filling, use the rounded side of a half-teaspoon measuring spoon, make a deep well in the center of each cookie. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 4-5 minutes before moving to a rack to finish cooling.
- *If using Kisses, cool cookies 4-5 minutes, then press unwrapped Kiss into center of each cookie.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave, stirring with a rubber spatula until smooth. Set aside until cool and slightly thickened.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into the wells of the cooled cookies. Place an M and M in the center of the ganache, if desired. Set aside until the chocolate firms up, about 1 hour.