Raspberry Danish Braid
Tender dough filled with raspberry and cream cheese. Plus how to make a cheater laminated dough!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch,
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
See link in post for danish recipe.
Fresh Berry Jam Filling:
- 2 cups crushed fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For berry filling, stir the berries and sugar together in a microwave safe bowl. Cook for 10 minutes on full power. Stir and cook 5-8 minutes longer till most of the liquid has been absorbed and filling looks glossy.Mine took less time. Cook time will vary depending on the strength of your microwave. Stir in lemon juice and cool till room temperature before using.
- For cream filling, whisk together cream, cornstarch and sugar in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on full power for about 1 minute (time will vary depending on strength of your microwave). Stir and cook 2-3 more minutes till the mixture boils and thickens a bit. Watch carefully as all microwaves cook differently.
- Whisk together egg yolk and vanilla. Temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking in a little of the hot cream mixture, then slowly add the yolk mixture into the cream, whisking constantly.
- Microwave 30 seconds more, then stir. Mixture should be thick like lemon curd. Press some plastic wrap over surface and cool to room temperature.
- Spread some the berry filling over middle of danish, then top with some of the cream filling. You may not need to use all the fillings.
Adapted from Baking with Julia