When you need a cool, delectable summer treat, there’s nothing better than Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
Made with two jumbo homemade chocolate chip cookies and your favorite ice cream, if you’re wondering How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches, it’s a piece of cake!!
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
This has been one brutal summer with absolutely no rain plus an unprecedented number of days over 100º. Our driest summer in 104 years. So this easy recipe is an antidote to”Beat the Heat.” Since dear old hubby is always hounding me to make chocolate chip cookies, I asked if he’d like me to make some ice cream sandwich bars with his favorite treat. I think you can guess his response.
I upped the ante with these Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches by using both white and semi-sweet chocolate discs instead of your run of the mill chocolate chips in the cookie dough…and rolled the edges of the sandwiches with mini-chocolate chips for the perfect finishing touch. I think I put him into a sugar coma with his first one of these beauties.
Tips for Making Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Make or buy large chocolate chip cookies.
- Match up two of the same size for each ice cream sandwich.
- Select an ice cream flavor that pairs well with chocolate. This is all a matter of opinion. There are no wrong answers here!
- Add a scoop to a flat side of one cookie. See if you need to add anymore ice cream and adjust the amount as needed.
- Place the coordinating cookie, flat side down, on top the ice cream and press gently.
- Freeze until the ice cream is solid, then add your decorative element if desired. This can be mini chocolate chips, sprinkles or candies. Return to freezer until ready to indulge!
Disclaimer: I tried mini M and M’s, but they slid right off the ice cream. I was hoping that would work, but it was a headache to get just one made for a photo. Don’t bother. Or else make sure to freeze solid first, then try to press your candies, chocolate chips or sprinkles into the ice cream.Print
Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
An easy way to make a yummy summer dessert with just 3 ingredients!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: varies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Spreading
- Cuisine: American
- 1 batch chocolate chip cookie dough
- Favorite ice cream flavor, slightly softened
- Mini chocolate chips or sprinkles
- Using a 1/4 cup cookie scoop, bake large cookies (mine took 18-20 minutes). Cool on racks. Place a scoop or two of ice cream on the flat side of one cookie, and use the flat side of a second cookie and press to make a sandwich. Freeze sandwiches to allow ice cream to firm up. Sprinkle exposed ice cream with chocolate chips or sprinkles. Press lightly to adhere the sprinkles. Lay flat on cookie sheet and freeze briefly till ice cream solidifies.
- To serve, let sandwiches sit at room temperature for a few minutes so cookies defrost slightly.