Confit d’Oignon or Onion Marmalade
Onions slow cooked with herbs, wine and vinegar make for a fabulous condiment!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1½ cups 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: French, American
- 2 pounds red onions, peeled, halved, and sliced thinly
- A scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- A scant 1/3 cup dry white wine
- A scant 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- In a heavy frying pan add olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and toss to coat. Cover pan and cook gently until onions start to color.
- Add salt, pepper, bay leaves, and rosemary and cook for 20 minutes, till herbs are wilted. Add sugar, wine, and vinegars and simmer until all the liquids have evaporated and the onions are soft, about 30 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so onions do not burn.
- Remove herbs and pour into a clean canning jar. Let cool, then seal and store in the refrigerator. Use within two weeks unless you go through the canning process.
Makes 24 one-tablespoon servings.