Whip up some classic Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream when you’re dying for some old-fashioned comfort food! Perfect for a special snack, a birthday treat or just a chocolate craving that won’t go away!
Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
Nick drew a short straw when it came to his birthday this year. It landed on a Monday…the first day of his college finals. Insert pouty face. I reminded him that he had to eat dinner, so we planned to drive down treat him to a meal at the restaurant of his choice on Sunday night (no fine dining required). I whipped up a batch of Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream for him to share with the other hooligans on his dorm floor. Apparently they didn’t last long. Teenage boys do like cake. Especially when it’s not from the campus cafeteria…I think even the dreaded meatloaf of his childhood was a step up from the entrees he faced each night for dinner.
I was overly generous with the buttercream…and the boys gave them rave reviews…especially the icing. Nick is moving into an apartment with 3 friends next year. I have a feeling I’ll be taking full meals down to them…all Nick has mastered so far is the peanut butter sandwich.
When the picnic theme was announced for this week’s Sunday Supper, I knew these delectable cupcakes would be perfect. I had just purchased a cupcake carrier, and could see arriving with a couple dozen of these to a Memorial Day gathering. Around here, we have the Indy 500…and the city is just hopping with festivities. And I always bring a dessert unless otherwise assigned…and typically something chocolate. Scroll down to see all the the extraordinary treats my friends are bringing to the picnic…and I hope some of them will inspire you to create a special treat for the holiday.
PRO-Tip: My baking friend, Jenni, of Pastry Chef Online, offered me a solution for the air holes in my buttercream frosting. She suggested using the paddle attachment instead of the whisk. Too late this time, but it will be my new technique!
Check out these other recipes for your chocolate cravings:Print
Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
Old-fashioned frosted cocoa cupcakes that are perfect for any occasion!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (put one tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup and fill with milk to the one cup mark. Let sit a few minutes before using)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup shortening
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (melted and cooled)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla. Beat with mixer for about 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl. Batter will be thin. Fill each liner 2/3-3/4 full with batter.
- Bake 15 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in tins, then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make buttercream, put butter and shortening in the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, whip on medium-high till light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add in powdered sugar. When the sugar is incorporated, mix in vanilla, then the chocolate. Increase mixer speed to medium high and beat till light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Ice cupcakes as desired.
- Yield: 24-30 cupcakes
- Total time: about 1 1/2 hours
A Few More Picnic Recipes You’ll Love:
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog