These fudgy brownie have the delicious addition of browned butter. Alice Medrich’s twist with these Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter makes for an exceptional dessert.
Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter
Are you a sucker for February food magazines? Their covers display irresistible chocolate Valentine’s Day desserts that I just can’t ignore. Immediately after receiving my Bon Appetit, I turned to the pages featuring cocoa powder; and within days I had baked the best chocolate cake ever.
That cake disappeared in record time, and I went back to that issue to get more inspiration. At first I was disappointed thinking I had already made the Alice Medrich brownies on the same page, until I realized her other cocoa brownies (which won my brownie tasting bake along this fall) did not have browned butter.
Would my family even notice this extra dimension??? I had to find out, so I whipped up these fudgy Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter.
Easy Brownies Recipe
These were basically a one bowl brownie, except they were mixed up in a saucepan. Mixing the sugar and cocoa into warm browned butter ensured that the cocoa was completely incorporated.
Cooled for a few minutes before beating in the eggs prevented any scrambling from adding cold eggs to a hot batter. The end result was perfection. I don’t think the altered butter was discerned by my family, but they were definitely enjoyed. They’re scrumptious eaten straight up, but also lovely served with ice cream as a sundae. And if you don’t want to take the time to brown the butter, just start with plain old melted butter in a mixing bowl and follow the recipe as written from there.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, chilled
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (1/4 teaspoon if using salted butter)
- Preheat oven to 325º. Line an 8-inch square pan with nonstick foil or regular foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray like Pam.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Continue cooking over medium heat till butter stops foaming and brown bits form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir till blended. Cool about 5 minutes.
- With a handheld mixer add eggs, one at a time, mixing till batter is smooth and glossy. Add flour and use a spatula to mix till flour is just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool on a wire rack, then remove from pan using the foil as a sling and cut as desired.