Classic Strawberry Shortcake
A traditional strawberry shortcake recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 44 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3–4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour, plus more for cutting biscuits
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) frozen butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Demerara sugar (regular sugar may be substituted)
Whipped cream topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix crushed and slice berries with sugar. Let sit while preparing biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl. Using the largest holes on a box grater, grate frozen butter into dry ingredients. Toss butter with flour, then using your hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients till mixture looks like cornmeal.
- Beat egg slightly and add to the half and half. Pour into the flour mixture. Toss together till most of the flour is incorporated. Lightly flour counter or work surface and gently knead biscuit dough till it comes together. Pat into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle and cut rounds with a 2 3/4 inch biscuit cutter. Gently gather leftover dough and fold and roll to a 3/4 inch thickness and cut out another biscuit or two.
- Place biscuits on baking dish, brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for about 12-14 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes before serving.
- Whip cream with sugar and vanilla.
- To serve, cut biscuits in half, top bottom half with berries and juices, followed by a big dollop of whipped cream and the top of the biscuit.