Classic Peach Pie
A classic peach pie recipe with fresh peaches and a touch of warm spices!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Pastry for a double crust pie
- 2 1/2 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced
- 3/4–1 cup light brown sugar (depending on sweetness of your peaches)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few grates of fresh nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter (I forget the butter half the time and consider it optional)
- Mix sliced peaches with sugar, lemon juice, tapioca, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Roll one piece of pastry crust into a 12 inch, ⅛ inch thick circle on a lightly floured surface (refrigerate the other disk). Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate, letting it hang over the edge. Fill with peach mixture and dot with butter.
- Roll out the other piece of dough and place over the filling (or cut into strips and weave a lattice crust); press the crust edges together and trim, leaving a one-inch overhang. Flute edges to seal. Using a knife and make a few air vents in the top crust.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450º.
- Reduce the oven to 375º. Place pie on foil-lined baking sheet. Bake the pie for 30 minutes. Brush the crust with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake another 30 minutes or till filling in the center looks bubbly.
- Cool pie on rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine.