Classic Oatmeal Cookies
Chewy oatmeal cookies adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 36 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups old fashioned oatmeal (do not use quick oats or steel cut oats)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and soda and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until butter is golden brown with a nutty aroma. Remove from heat.
- Pour butter into a large, heatproof mixing bowl and whisk in cinnamon.
- Add sugars and oil to the butter and whisk to combine. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon and mix until just combined. Add oats and stir until mixed well.
- Scoop out about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie. Roll into balls between hands and place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten each dough ball with palm before baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.Centers should still look soft when you remove from the oven.
- Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.