This Classic Flan recipe is made in individual ramekins for a personal dessert! Who doesn’t love that? This recipe is perfect dessert for Cinco de Mayo or anytime you’re craving a delicious vanilla custard treat!
Classic Flan Recipe
A group of my fun blogger friends started a small holiday blog party on St. Patrick’s Day. I remember drooling over all the gorgeous green treats they shared. And then they were kind enough to invite me to join in on their second-holiday celebration: Cinco de Mayo. Cinco de Mayo translates into the 5th of May and is a holiday to remember the Mexican Army’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in, 1862. In the US, it’s become a date to eat Mexican food and drink margaritas!
You all know I can’t resist a blog party, so I started brainstorming. Of course, I landed on desserts. I made a coconut flan for a dinner party years ago, and it was high time I made another batch sans coconut. Custard + Caramel? YES, I had found a winner in this classic flan!
What’s the Difference Between Flan and Crème Caramel?
Crème Caramel is the French version of this cool and creamy dessert; Flan is Spanish. Both are vanilla custards that are bathed in a caramel sauce once plated. Who wouldn’t go for that?
They are basically the same dish with different names!
And check out all the incredible contributions to this blog party below. You will have no excuse for not having a marvelous dinner, including cocktails and dessert, on Cinco de Mayo!
1. Alfajores from Roxana’s Home Baking
2. Spicy Fish Tacos with Avocado Yogurt Sauce from Crumb
3. Classic Flan from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
4. Dulce de Leche Milkshake with Coconut Milk Whipped
Cream from Chocolate Moosey
5. Lime Margarita Bars from Girl in the Little Red
6. Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche from Magnolia Days
7. Tropical Fiesta Cocktail from Hungry Couple NYC
8. Paletas – Mexican Popsicles from Pineapple and Coconut
9. Bizcochitos Cookies from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
10. Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes from Gotta Get Baked
11. Vegan Taco Salad from What Smells So Good
13. Queso Blanco from The Messy Baker
14. Gorditas with Picadillo from Juanita’s Cocina
15. Strawberry Margarita Slurpee from Chocolate Chocolate
Plus, if you’d like to try a full-sized flan recipe, this Creamy Caramel Flan is a winner!
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large yolks
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Combine cream, milk and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and add vanilla extract. Set aside while making caramel.
- Combine 1 cup sugar,1/3 cup of water and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook without stirring, only swirling pan on occasion, till caramel turns amber, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully so it does not burn. Quickly pour caramel into six 3/4-cup ramekins and carefully rotate each ramekin to coat sides. Set ramekins into a roaster or baking dish.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, and remaining sugar in medium bowl until blended. Slowly drizzle cream mixture into egg mixture while whisking...but take care not to create too many bubbles. Pour custard through a fine-mesh strainer to remove any cooked egg particles, then, divide mixture between the ramekins. Bake till centers of flans are gently set about 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack about 2 hours, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, run small sharp knife around flan to loosen. Turn over onto a plate. Shake gently to release flan. Carefully lift off ramekin allowing caramel syrup to run over flan. Repeat with remaining flans and serve.
My amazing father in law lost his battle with cancer yesterday evening. I will be with family over the next few days to celebrate his life. xo