Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
This Classic Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe always trumps a box mix. Buttermilk works its magic by making tender, delicious pancakes!
This has been my go-to pancake recipe for years and comes from our local Junior League Cookbook, Winners. It makes the Best Buttermilk Pancakes time after time! Homemade batter with sugar, butter, and buttermilk provides the perfect combination of sweetness and tenderness.
Why You Must Make
This is the perfect pancake recipe—you’ll never want that boxed mix version again after making these buttermilk pancakes!
- Homemade pancakes are so much better than the box mix!!
- Making pancakes from scratch is EASY!
- The acid in the buttermilk makes tender pancakes by weakening the gluten. It actually breaks the molecular bonds and unwinds the proteins! Plus it kicks the baking soda into action giving the pancakes a better rise.
If you’re looking for a healthier pancake, check out these perfect whole wheat pancakes. And this Dutch Baby Pancake is also one of my favorite pancake recipes!
From Debbie via Pinterest: Makes 8, 5-inch, crispy on the outside, fluffy and light on the inside pancakes. Good and easy recipe!
Homemade Pancake Recipe
These homemade buttermilk pancakes are worth the extra couple minutes it takes to whip up a batch. Tender, flavorful with a touch of sweetness, they will be the best pancakes you’ve ever created.
Move over box mix, we’re heading back to basics with this terrific from scratch recipe. Can you melt butter? Measure ingredients? Whisk a batter? Then you can make a memorable breakfast! Better yet, treat your mom to a stack of these Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes for Mother’s Day.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a very basic recipe that even new cooks can master. It takes a few bowls, but the results are worth it. First, the eggs, buttermilk, salt, and sugar are mixed together. In another bowl, the remaining dry ingredients are whisked together and added to the buttermilk mixture. Then melted butter is stirred in before cooking on a greased griddle or pan.
A reliable buttermilk substitute is easy to make at home with ingredients that are found in most kitchens. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or neutral-flavored vinegar, like white or apple cider, to a 1 cup liquid measuring cup. Then add milk to the 1 cup mark. Let rest a few minutes, stir, and use as needed.
Lightly grease a griddle or skillet with butter. Heat over medium-low, then place about 1/4 cup of batter in rounds over the surface leaving enough room for them to expand.
Cook until bubbles appear and open on the surface, 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook the other side. Repeat until all batter is used.
Any pancake batter can be made into blueberry or even chocolate chip pancakes. As the first side of the pancake is cooking, drop berries or chocolate chips over the surface of the top or uncooked side. Once the bubbles appear and open, flip and finish cooking.
- Use real buttermilk if possible, but the substitute listed will work in a pinch.
- PRO-Tip: Check the expiration date on your baking powder. Baking powder usually expires before you can use it all. If it’s not fresh, it will affect the rise of your pancakes. This recipe uses both baking powder and baking soda.
- PRO-Tip: Do not overmix the batter. A few small lumps are OK.
- Add a bit of sugar for the best flavor.
- Flip your pancakes once the bubbles on the top of the uncooked side start to pop.
- Wipe out the pan and add more butter to cook as needed.
You May Also Like
- Croque Madame Breakfast Casserole from Bread Booze Bacon
- 3 Ingredient Protein Pancakes from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
- Vanilla Bean Iced Coffee
- Baked Denver Omelet
- Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Mixed Berry Torte
- Plus check out all my Best Breakfast Recipes and Brunch Food Recipes
Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
These homemade buttermilk pancakes trump a box mix every time. Recipe adapted from Winners, Winning Recipes from the Junior League of Indianapolis
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 rounded teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In one bowl, whisk together egg, salt and sugar. Mix in buttermilk and set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together baking soda, baking powder and flour. Add to buttermilk mixture, then stir in butter till incorporated.
- Heat griddle and grease lightly. Pour rounds of batter onto hot griddle. Flip when bubbles on surface start to break, adjusting temperature of griddle as needed.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, and berries if desired.
Use butter to grease your pan for the best flavor. Wipe out the pan between batches if needed to remove any residue.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 914mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 9g
34 Comments on “Classic Buttermilk Pancakes”
Those look like the PERFECT fluffy buttermilk pancakes – YUMM!!
Classic buttermilk pancakes are always a huge hit at my house!!! This stack is beyond gorgeous!!! Wishing you a wonderful Mother’s Day, Liz!!!
Your panaceas are absolute perfection, Liz! Mine never quite turn out so fluffy — always a bit flat. Hehe:)
You always need a classic pancake at brunch. These look picture-perfect!
I am soooooo sold! Your pancakes look delicious! Perfect breakfast for tomorrow! Thanks a lot!
These pancakes look so soft and fluffy! There’s no better breakfast than pancakes- especially when they’re made from scratch!
The perfect pancakes, they look amazing!
YAY! These look SO amazing! WOW. I love some buttermilk pancakes! Gorgeous!
Happy Mother’s Day a little early to you Liz! Your pancakes look so fluffy and delicious. Maybe I can put in my request to my family and little early for Sunday morning. Take care. BAM
They look perfect Liz
I am pretty picky about my pancakes. Boxed is no good. The thicker the better. These fit the bill.
I haven’t perfected pancakes, so I’m in love with these!!!
I think I have mentioned already 100 times that I love pancakes..but I want to say again. I love pancakes and these look delicious!
Those look lovely! Nothing like classic pancakes 🙂
Yep that settles it, I have to pick up some syrup this weekend:@)
What a delicious coincidence! I just blogged about buttermilk pancakes 2 days back. Now after reading yours, I have the temptation to try it again!
These pancakes look amazingly delicious, a go to in my household, even at dinner time.
Love your annual brunch week, I’m so jalous, I would like participated to same thing here! It seems like you have a lot of fun ! These pancakes looks delicious ! pancakes are one of my favourite’s meal for breakfast 🙂 Have a lovely day Liz !