I dug deep into my recipe files for this family favorite dessert. These Chocolate Mousse Cups provide a double dose of decadence with a semi-sweet shell filled with silky cream cheese chocolate mousse.
Chocolate Mousse Cups
The holidays are about traditions. Growing up, I remember the excitement as we piled into our old Plymouth Satellite station wagon and headed to Strautman’s Tree Farm to chop down our Christmas tree. Even in our teens, the four girls, and of course our dog, Rufus, trekked through the Iowa cornfields, covered with a blanket of snow, to our destination. We’d wait till Christmas Eve so my dad could bargain with the proprietor. He loved to get a deal…and a BIG tree (some years it barely fit through the door!).
We were rosy cheeked and full of chatter by the time the deed was done. The excitement was palpable. Fast forward a couple decades and my family has completely different traditions. We select our tree well in advance, from a nearby city lot decked with twinkling lights, and I plan out our holiday meals in detail. None of this last minute stuff. There is always beef and chocolate on the menu for Christmas day. It’s just a given. When I asked Bill what we should have this year, he chimed in immediately. A rib roast and those chocolate mousse cups. A blast from the past.
Tips for Making Chocolate Mousse Cups
I bet it’s been 15 years since I’ve whipped up these decadent chocolate mousse cups. I agreed with Bill. They were perfect for the holidays.
- I used a small silicone brush and applied melted semi-sweet chocolate onto the interiors of eight foil muffin liners and popped them in the fridge to chill.
- When cold and firm, I carefully peeled off the foil and the cups were ready to fill, whether it’s with chocolate mousse, pudding or berries and whipped cream.
- This time I used the cream cheese based mousse from our local Junior League cookbook, Winners. I piped the mousse using a star tip, but this recipe wasn’t as smooth as some other versions I’ve made. Apparently, I’m the only one in the family who cares if the dessert looks fancy, so feel free to simply spoon the mousse into the cups and save some work and clean up.
Bill savored every single bite….and reminded me not to wait till the holidays to make these babies again! He would happily indulge in these chocolate mousse cups ANY day of the year!
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, separated (pasteurized eggs preferred)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Put chopped semisweet chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stop and stir and repeat till chocolate is smooth and melted. Using a spoon, spread the chocolate to cover the inside of a foil or silicone cupcake liner. Chill till firm and remove foil. Set aside (refrigerate if your kitchen is warm).
- Combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup of the sugar and vanilla and mix well. Stir in egg yolks and melted chocolate.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar till stiff, but not dry. Fold into the chocolate mixture. Whip cream and fold into chocolate till well combined. Spoon or pipe into chocolate cups. Refrigerate till ready to serve. Garnish as desired.
More Memorable Holiday Meals and Traditions from My Blogger Friends:
- Mulled Red Wine Hot Cocoa by Nosh My Way
- Sparkling Caramel Apple Sangria by The Messy Baker
- Holiday Crab & Shrimp Scramble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Donuts by Ruffles & Truffles
- Spiced Apple Monkey Bread with White Wine Caramel by Curious Cuisiniere
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Pastry by Family Foodie
Memorable Main Dishes:
- Baked Swiss Cheese Fondue by Shockingly Delicious
- Curried Turkey Salad by Magnolia Days
- Glazed Ham with Red-eye Gravy by Nik Snacks
Delightful Desserts and Sweets:
- Berry Chocolate Mocha Mousse Dessert by Flavor Mosaic
- Caramel Apple Turnovers by In The Kitchen With KP
- Fudgy Chocolate Berry Bundt Cake by Desserts Required
- Italian Wine Doughnut Cookies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Pound Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Chocolate Cookie Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Red Wine Chocolate Truffles by Life Tastes Good
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Snowballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips