Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova
A jumbo cocoa meringue topped with cream and berries!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Australian
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar (I whiz granulated sugar in the food processor for a minute or so)
- 3 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon raspberry or balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2–3 tablespoons coarsely grated semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line baking sheet with parchment. Draw a 9 inch circle on parchment, the flip the paper over. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites till satiny in appearance. Slowly add the sugar, while continuing to beat, until meringue is stiff and glossy. Sift cocoa powder over the meringue, then add vinegar and chopped chocolate. Fold well till combined.
- Pile the meringue onto the baking sheet, keeping within the 9 inch circle. Smooth top and edges with an offset spatula. Place in oven and immediately decrease temperature to 300º. Bake for 1-1 1/4 hours till dry on edges and top. Pavlova will appear cracked. Turn off oven, open oven door, and allow to cool completely.
- To serve, invert onto serving plate. Whip cream with powdered sugar, vanilla and Whip It, if using. Top pavlova with whipped cream, then sprinkle with raspberries followed by grated chocolate.
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson.
Total time does not include cooling time.