Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Bars
A delectable peanut butter cookie bar with a layer of caramel! !Adapted from Lemons for Lulu
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter melted and cooked till slightly browned and nutty smelling (browned butter)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces mini peanut butter cups unwrapped and cut in half
- 11 ounces or about 30 caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 9 x 13 pan with nonstick foil or regular foil followed by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixer, combine brown sugar and brown butter beating until creamy. Add vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in peanut butter until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt to peanut butter mixture and gently mix till just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Grease a 9×13 pan. Spread half of the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels and heavy cream, stopping and stirring at one-minute intervals until completely melted. Stir until smooth. Pour caramel onto the bottom layer of bars. Top with halved Reese cups. Drop remaining dough onto peanut butter cups and carefully spread using your fingers.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean