My family adores the classic gooey bars that I’ve been making for decades. When I spied these Chocolate Oreo Gooey Bars on Hugs & Cookies XOXO, I knew I had to whip up a batch!
Chocolate Oreo Gooey Bars
When I was a newlywed, Gooey Butter Bars were one of my go-to, super easy desserts. A box of cake mix, butter, eggs, cream cheese and a box of powdered sugar was all it took to get a batch in the oven. A couple of dirty bowls later, these decadent treats were baked and soon devoured. Truthfully, as the years rolled on, I thought they were too sweet. But they still remained a family favorite! Who am I to judge??? So it’s no surprise that I had to test out this chocolate version. To cut lovely squares, check out How to Cut Perfect Cookie Bars.
Two Sweetie Pies
Bill was especially excited when these bars came out of the oven. To quote him, “Chocolate and Oreos! Two of my favorites!” I used a cake mix with pudding added and these were super moist and definitely decadent! Bill loved these Chocolate Oreo Gooey Bars so much he jokingly tried to hide them from Katie. She was onto him, though! Even our youngest, who was home for a few days, asked if he could take the leftovers back to school. Mr. Healthy was sucked in by their gooey deliciousness, too!
Thanks again to my lovely friend, Danielle, for another magnificent recipe! She is my go-to blogger for decadent treats. I promise you will love whatever you try from her blog!!! We share a recipe from each other’s sites every second Monday of the month. Check out Danielle’s rendition of these decadent bars on Hugs & Cookies XOXO. And while you’re stocked up on Oreos, these Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies are another winner!
Check out Danielle’s social media sites! Plus make sure to stop by her blog and check out which of my recipes she made this month, too.
More Recipes Using Cake Mixes You’ll Love:
- Cake Mix Cookies from Spend with Pennies
- Easy Lemon Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cake Mix Cherry Crumb Cake from Southern Plate
- Kahlua Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Berry Dump Cake from Crazy for Crust
Used in These Chocolate Oreo Gooey Bars Recipe:
- 13 by 9 by 2-1/4-Inch Baking Pan
- 10-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
- KitchenAid 9-Speed Hand Mixer
- Small Offset Spatula
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted, plus 8 more tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (I used a 15.25 ounce mix, but the original recipe called for an 18.25 ounce mix)
- 3 eggs, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 16 ounces powdered sugar (one box)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 20 Oreos, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick melted butter. Press mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add 2 eggs and cocoa powder. Slowly, add the powdered sugar. Then carefully add the last stick of melted butter and the vanilla. Mix until smooth. Fold in Oreos.
- Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool at room temperature before cutting.
Serving Size:1 b
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g