Chocolate Mummy Cupcakes
An easy way to dress up your cupcakes for Halloween!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 21 mins
- Total Time: 51 minutes
- Yield: 14 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes, Holiday
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 box of white fondant
- Powdered sugar
- A small amount of white frosting (from the grocery store or you can make a paste from powdered sugar and water)
- Sugar eyes
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in small bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, and white sugar. Whisk in the milk, coffee, and melted butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients. Divide batter into 12 spots in the muffin tins (fill about ¾ full). I usually have enough batter to make 2 more cupcakes.
- Bake for 15 minutes (mine took 21 minutes) or till tester inserted in middle of cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and continue cooling on wire rack.
- When cupcakes are cold, remove some of the fondant from the box.
- Dust your work surface with powdered sugar, and knead the fondant using the base of your palms. Roll the fondant to about 1/8-inch thickness or less.
- Use a biscuit cutter that’s about the size of the top of your cupcakes and cut out a round. Roll again just to make the diameter slightly larger than your cupcake top.
- Cut strips from the round, then arrange them over the cupcake to resemble a mummy.
- Determine where you want the eyes and place a small dab of frosting in two locations as glue. Cover the frosting with the eyes. Repeat with the rest of the cupcakes.
Feel free to make cupcakes from a box mix to save time.
Fondant and sugar eyes are available at stores like Michaels and Jo-Ann Fabrics
Cupcake recipe adapted from Ghirardelli.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 163kcal
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 125mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 30mg