Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Sauce
A double dose of chocolate and fudge sauce make this ice cream sundae a chocolate lovers dream!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Ice Cream
- Method: Mixing, Boiling, Churning
- Cuisine: American
For Ice Cream:
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Fudge Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, optional
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons rum
To make ice cream:
- Combine cream, cocoa, sugar and salt in large saucepan. Heat while whisking till the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate, whisking till melted, then add milk and vanilla. David recommends pouring the mixture into a blender and processing for about 30 seconds to make sure no unmelted chocolate particles remain.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight or till very cold. Freeze using ice cream maker, following manufacturers instructions.
To make Fudge Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a sauce pan, combine butter and cream and heat until the butter has melted. Add dry ingredients to the cream mixture, constantly whisking. Boil, stirring constantly until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and rum. Cool and refrigerate unused portion.
- Can be reheated in a microwave, as needed.
Ice cream recipe adapted from David Lebovitz
Hot fudge recipe adapted from Sharon Hoffman