Chocolate Guinness Cake
A rich, dense chocolate cake made with Guinness stout and topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: British, Irish
For the cake:
- Butter for pan
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine Guinness and butter. Place over medium heat until butter melts, then remove from heat. Add cocoa and sugar, and whisk to blend.In a large bowl, combine sour cream, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add Guinness mixture to bowl and whisk. Add flour and baking soda, and whisk again until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake until risen and firm, 45 minutes to one hour. Place pan on a wire rack and cool completely in pan.
- Sift powdered sugar into medium bowl to break up lumps. Add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Add heavy cream and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Remove cake from pan and place on serving dish. Ice top of cake only, so that it resembles a frothy pint of Guinness.
Recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson.