Chocolate Coma Sandwich Cookies
Dreamy chocolate overload cookies filled with chocolate ganache
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 44 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teasspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Make cookies: Put chopped chocolates and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 with 30 second increments, stopping and stirring each time till melted and smooth; let cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla into chocolate mixture. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture until evenly mixed, then stir in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill until firm enough to hold its shape, about an hour.
- Meanwhile, make ganache: Put chopped chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, till melted and smooth, then let cool. Cover and chill, stirring occasionally, until firm enough to spread, about 2 hours. If ganache becomes too firm to spread, you may zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough, roll into rounds, then place on prepared sheets onto sheets about 1 inch apart. Press dough to flatten to about a ½ inch thickness. Bake about 10 minutes, till tops lose their wet look, but don’t overbake. Let cookies cool on sheets on racks.
- Spread flat sides of half of cookies with ganache and top with remaining cookies.
Adapted from Sunset Magazine.
Total time does not include chilling time.