Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies sandwiched around chocolate ganache. Cookie recipe adapted from KAF.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: 16 sandwich cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
For the cookies:
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, butter, shortening, salt, vanilla and almond extracts, vinegar, and baking soda, beating until light and creamy.
- Beat in the egg till smooth. Mix in the flour, then the chips.
- Use a medium cookie disher or a tablespoon to scoop out dough balls about 1¼ inches in diameter. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 11 to 12 minutes, tops are golden and edges lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets for a couple minutes before removing to wire racks to finish cooling.
To make frosting:
- To make the frosting, process the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in a food processor until smooth, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and process till combined. Add the chocolate and pulse till smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Pipe or spread a frosting on the flat side of one cookie and top with the flat side of a similar size cookie.
- Makes a generous amount of frosting for 12 cupcakes or 16 sandwich cookies.