Chocolate Caramel Bars with Streusel
Chocolate Caramel Bars with Streusel are sweet, gooey, and irresistible. Don’t be intimidated as the homemade caramel layer is super simple to make!
This Caramel Bar Recipe was first shared in 2011 and drastically needed an update. I recently took a few samples to a small luncheon with some neighbors and these buttery caramel squares were a hit!
Why You Must Make
- These caramel squares have a buttery shortbread crust, homemade caramel filling, chocolate chips, and a marvelous crumb topping!
- The homemade caramel is easy to make!! The recipe is much less intimidating than standard caramel recipes and tastier than semi-homemade versions made with packaged caramels.
- There are four delicious layers in every single bite.
- This recipe comes from Nick Malgieri, the baking guru and cookbook author, though adding chocolate chips was my idea.
- PRO-Tip: I use salted butter in my recipes. Salt is a flavor enhancer and is needed for both sweet and savory recipes. There’s not enough salt in the butter to make the bars taste salty.
- For easy removal from the pan and simple cleanup, line your baking pan with nonstick foil. You can also use regular foil and spray with a cooking spray like Pam.
- PRO-Tip: Chill your crust before baking as the tiny cold butter pieces will release steam in the oven, making a lighter, less dense crust.
- When you make the crumb topping, take your time and pinch together some of the crumbs to make larger pieces for your crumble.
- I used Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but you can also use bittersweet or even milk chocolate chips.
- Chill these caramel bars before cutting to make the cleanest slices, but allow them to come to room temperature before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Streusel is a German word meaning to sprinkle or strew. It’s a crumble topping made of flour, sugar, and butter that’s sprinkled on cakes, muffins, bars, coffee cakes, and more.
Many recipes used melted caramel candies and cream to make caramel as a shortcut, but the version in this recipe is easy to make from scratch. Butter, corn syrup, dark brown sugar, and sweetened condensed milk are mixed and gently boiled, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes, or until it thickens and darkens.
It should reach 240° F if you prefer to use a thermometer to gauge doneness.
Since it’s summer here, they’re best kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. After that, they freeze well and will be good for up to 3 months. Just defrost overnight in the refrigerator and bring what you plan to eat to room temperature before indulging.
You May Also Like:
- Strawberry Crumb Bars from Tastes of Lizzy T
- Caramel Apple Streusel Bars
- Ganache Topped Caramel Bars
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Raspberry Streusel Bars
- More Easy Bar Cookie Recipes
Chocolate Caramel Bars with Streusel Recipe
Easy Chocolate Caramel Bars with a crumb topping!
Crust and Topping:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or regular foil (spray with non-stick spray). Buttered parchment will also work.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Beat the 2 sticks of butter with the sugar till light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add vanilla, then slowly add in flour, scraping the sides of the bowl till the dough is smooth and flour incorporated.
- Put 3/4 of the dough into the prepared pan and pat firmly to form the bottom crust. Set aside the remaining dough and chill the crust as you prepare the caramel.
- Combine all filling ingredients except vanilla and chocolate chips in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Then allow the mixture to boil gently, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, until it starts to darken and thicken.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- When the caramel has cooled slightly, spread it evenly over the prepared crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then reserved crumbs.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the filling is bubbly. Cool in the pan, then remove the bars to a cutting board using the foil and slice to the desired size.
- Store at room temperature for a day or two, then refrigerate. Wrap well and freeze any you will not eat within a week.
Adapted from Nick Malgieri.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 4g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.
79 Comments on “Chocolate Caramel Bars with Streusel”
Lizzy your bars are always awesome!! delicious! gloria
Caramel is something that I really have to be in the mood for. I know what’s wrong with me? My hubby on the other hand loves it and he would also love these.
Oh My! I’ll definitely need a napkin with these as I’m sure all that gooey caramel & chocolate goodies will be dripping down my chin! They look gorgeous.
Making my own caramel scares me – it hisses at me. So will happily try this because maybe it won’t talk back. And – caramel and I are in love. Wonderful bars!
Another excellent recipe from you , I will def make this one , good one Lizzy 😀 .
I love these bars, although I’ve never seen them with chocolate chips. These are one of the most popular bars I make.
Oh Liz, why do you tempt me day after day! The caramel filling…oh deliciousness!
It’s like a Milky Way in bar form. I love it. I wonder if there’s a way to get around the chocolate though. 🙂
Very nice composition I really hope your doing a baking cookbook in the works, every bar and pastry always are prize worthy!
these sound and looks so yummy.
would be perfect for Christmas too.
Lizzy – with all the drooling I have been having over all your desserts and bars, there’s no more words and its no point using the same boring words again and again.
So here’s what I have to coment Wow, Wow, wow and more wow, wow, wow, that crust on top is killing me.
I’m a fan of desserts you made:)
Excellent, excellent, Lizzy! Again you make a magnificent dessert! I like!
This is lovely!
they look like something dangerously delicious!
they look nice and delicious!
Those would go perfectly well with my breakfast!
Oooh, love the streusel on the top. Yum!
These would be eaten in one day at my house. Chocolate & caramel, a favorite combination around here-
Lizzy! I want to cook every single one of your recipes!
These look so gorgeous and I cannot resist caramel. Congrats on yet another Top 9 yesterday.