Chocolate Cake Roll: an elegant dessert composed of a thin chocolate genoise rolled around sweet marshmallow cream filling!
Chocolate Cake Roll
Those of you familiar with my family know they love chocolate desserts. So when this week’s Sunday Supper theme was announced as “Stuff, Roll or Wrap,” I knew I’d have to make a Chocolate Cake Roll. Well, as I mentioned earlier this month, I was in a bit of a baking slump.
My first base for this dessert was an extremely tasty cake made with melted chocolate. Unfortunately, it didn’t roll well, meaning big, fat cracks appeared with each turn. Delicious, yes, but not so pretty. And food bloggers like pretty.
That cake went back to college with my youngest. He and his roommates don’t give a hoot about a dessert’s appearance, only the taste. So Plan B was to make a Martha Stewart chocolate genoise, which rolled like a dream. The chocolate intensity was lacking, but the family was still happy to dig into this chocolate cake roll.
Chocolate Roulade with Marshmallow Cream Filling
Many cake rolls are filled with sweetened whip cream, which is quite lovely. But my family’s favorite whoopie pie filling is made with marshmallow cream, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. It is totally irresistible…trust me. Bill volunteered to lick the bowl; it’s just that good. And unlike whipped cream, it’s firm and will keep for days. So this dessert can stay parked in your fridge for a couple of days…but I don’t think it will last that long!
More Cake Rolls, Roulades and Chocolate Cakes You’ll Love:
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake Roll from Crazy for Crust
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Roll
- Strawberry Meringue Roulade
- Berry Mascarpone Roulade
- German Chocolate Cake
- Triple Layer Chocolate Cake
- Frozen Chocolate Mousse Cake
- More Cake Recipes
- 5 tablespoons butter, plus more for parchment and pan
- 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup sifted cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10½-by-15½-by-1-inch jelly-roll pan. Line with parchment; butter and flour paper, tapping out the excess flour.
- Sift flour, cocoa, and baking soda together twice into a medium bowl. Set aside. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Skim off white foam, and pour clear yellow butter into a bowl, discarding white liquid at the bottom. Set aside in a warm place.
- In a medium-size heat-proof bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water; stir until mixture is warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, and beat on high speed until mixture is thick and pale and has tripled in bulk. Reduce speed to medium, add vanilla, and beat 2 to 3 minutes more.
- In three additions, sift flour mixture over egg mixture, folding in gently with a spatula. While folding in last addition, dribble melted butter over batter and fold in.
- Spread batter evenly in pan, leaving behind any unincorporated butter in the bottom of the bowl. Tap pan on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake until the cake springs back in the center 15-20 minutes. Don't overbake or the cake will crack. Let sit in pan on a wire rack until cool enough to handle.
- Dust surface with cocoa powder. To make rolling easier, trim edges of cake, and cover with a sheet of waxed paper and a damp dish towel. Invert onto a work surface, and peel off parchment; dust with cocoa. Starting from one long end, carefully roll up cake in towel. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make filling: cream the one cup of butter and powdered sugar in a mixer with paddle attachment for about three minutes, then add marshmallow cream and vanilla. Mix till well combined.
- Unroll cake and spread filling on inside of the roll. Reroll cake; wrap in
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 5g