Chili Relleno Casserole
An easy way to enjoy the flavors of chile rellenos!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Casserole
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- A pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 large tomato, cut into thin slices (set slices between paper toweling to remove excess juices)
- 2 7-ounce cans of whole green chilies, drained well, andsplit open (may use a 3rd can if desired)
- 1 pound shredded cheese, I used a combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch pan (or similar sized casserole dish).
- Beat together, eggs, milk, flour and seasonings.
- Layer a third of the chilies, then a third of the cheese and repeat. For the third round, layer the last of the chilies, then the tomato slices followed by the last of the cheese. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Let rest for about a half hour while you preheat the oven to 350º.
- Bake for 45+ minutes or until puffed and slightly browned. If the top doesn’t look set or watery, just bake longer! Let sit 20 minutes before serving.
Inspired by a Bon Appetit recipe.
Note, I cooled this batch before cutting to get nice clean slices, then reheated.