Chili Blanca – White Bean Chicken Chili
Chili Blanca is a healthy, delicious, and hearty white bean chicken chili. This Chili Blanca recipe uses both chunks of chicken and loads of beans for an extra boost of protein. Plus lots of veggies and spices for a comforting, flavorful, healthy entree.
I shared this easy Chili Blanca Recipe on our local CBS station, during a segment on “preparing for the storm.” We were talking snow, but sometimes a storm hits in another form, like breast cancer.
Why You’ll Love this White Chicken Chili
- It’s a delicious change of pace from the traditional beef and tomato chili recipes.
- This chicken chili is healthier, too.
- Plus, it’s a super tasty, comforting recipe for winter dining.
Today, I’m guest posting for Amee, blogger, and friend over at Amee’s Savory Dish. Amee is a healthy food blogger, healthy eater, and a fitness coach, as well as a wife and mom to two school-aged children. Imagine her shock when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It can happen to anyone! I’m helping Amee out today, by sharing this chicken and white bean chili recipe (Chili Blanca) while she recovers from surgery. Pop over to see my chili blanca recipe on her site. I know I speak for Amee when I encourage all women to get their mammograms. Early diagnosis is key!
Healthy Chicken Chili Recipes
I go back and forth with whether traditional beef chili, black bean chili, or chicken chili is my favorite. It’s too close to call. I followed the recipe Gaea, one of the sponsors of my TV appearance, supplied. The only substitution I made was to replace the water with chicken broth, for more depth of flavor. Feel free to add some diced red bell pepper for a spot of color or even some jalapenos if you want more heat. This recipe is just the framework. Tweak it to make it your own.
If you make a spicier chili, you may want to serve it with some sour cream to tame the fire. I love topping my bowl with shredded cheese and a dusting of minced cilantro. Please head on over to Amee’s Savory Dish and check out the recipe and offer your support. This cancer diagnosis has rocked her world and prayers and good thoughts for her and her family are needed.
If you’re looking for more healthy chili recipes to try, check out these posts:
- Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Chili, from Sommer at Spicy Perspective
- Low Fat Crock Pot White Chicken Chili, from Brenda at Sugar Free Mom
- Healthy Turkey Chili Con Frijoles, from It’s Yummi
- Plus this Ham and Bean Soup is a winner, too!
- 1 pound chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/ 2-by-3- inch strips
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided (if your chicken broth is salty, you may need to use less. If you use water, you may need to add more.)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I used Gaea's Kalamata Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (like great northern or cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth (may substitute water)
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon of the salt and pepper. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until browned. Lower the heat and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, corn, chilies, spices, and chicken broth (or water).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring
- Add water if the chili is too thick. When the chili is done, taste and add the remaining salt and more pepper if needed. Serve the chili with shredded cheese and a sprinkling of cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Gaea with slight adaptations.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 2112mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 11gSugar: 4gProtein: 47g