Chicken Tortilla Soup
Recipe courtesy of Christy Jordan’s Come Home to Supper
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth or 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (29 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (11 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or more, if you’d like)
- 2 cups frozen corn or 2 cans (15 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and/or chopped scallions, for serving
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the tortillas and toppings with 2 cups of water in a
- large stockpot. Place it over medium-high heat and bring it just to a boil. Reduce the heat to
- medium and simmer until the soup is heated through, 30 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut each tortilla into thin strips. Place the strips in the
- pot and cook 10 minutes more.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the desired toppings on the side.
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings