Always on the hunt for easy, flavorful weeknight meals, this Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage and Peppers had an incredible depth of flavor and received rave reviews from my family.
Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage
After decades of marriage, I know what I can get away with when it comes to experimental meals and the picky hubby. I spotted a gorgeous Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage on a friend’s blog, Food Lust People Love. No obviously “offensive” ingredients listed, like mushrooms, fennel, etc. Just layers of delicious flavors from the white wine, sausage, and herbs. I used bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts instead of a combo of dark and light meat and substituted piquillo peppers for her peppadews. This Italian-American dish showed promise.
Italian Chicken Dinner
With a depth of flavor from the sausage, wine, vinegar, and herbs, this Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage turned out to be an over the top entree. Simple to make, yet a complex experience for the taste buds. I happened to have a jar of piquillo peppers in my pantry, thanks I’m sure to Dorie Greenspan exposing me to these thin, sweet Spanish peppers.
Ordinary red bell peppers can be substituted if desired when making this Italian chicken recipe. Since I had all the ingredients except rosemary on hand, this Chicken Scarpariello was perfect for a memorable weeknight meal!
More Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Italian Chicken Bake from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- One-Pan Chicken Cacciatore from Belly Full
- Chicken Pinwheels with Spinach and Prosciutto
- Herbed Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken Piccata Pasta
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Favorite Chicken Recipes
- Chicken and Pepper Chili
- More Chicken Recipes
- 6 bone in chicken breasts
- Kosher salt to taste
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 jar piquillo peppers, drained ( 7.75 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary plus more to garnish if desired
- Generously season the chicken breasts with kosher salt. Heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan and brown the chicken over medium-high heat. Remove to a platter.
- Brown the sausage, then remove to the platter with the chicken. Then lower the heat and add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the vinegar, wine, chicken stock, peppers, soy sauce and rosemary. Bring liquid to a boil, add the chicken, sausage and any accumulated juices back to the pan and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half and chicken is cooked. You may want to put the lid on to finish cooking if the chicken needs more cooking time.
- Serve chicken, sausage and peppers with a drizzle of sauce and garnish with rosemary.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 146mg Sodium: 856mg Carbohydrates: 7g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 53g