Chicken Jambalaya Soup #SundaySupper
A hearty, flavorful soup based on the classic Jambalaya.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup, Chicken, Sausage
- Method: Sauteing, Simmering
- Cuisine: Cajun, Creole, American
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 andouille sausages, sliced (about 14 ounces)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons Zatarain’s Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth (if your broth is very salty, use 4 cups chicken broth plus 2 cups water)
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes and juice
- 1/2 cup frozen okra slices
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, roasted and shredded (or use leftover or rotisserie chicken)
- Kosher salt, if needed
- Fresh thyme to garnish, optional
- Add olive oil to a large pot. Adjust burner to medium high heat and add sliced sausages. Cook till browned, then remove from pan and reserve.
- Add the onion, celery and red pepper and cook till soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add Creole seasoning, thyme and bay leaf and stir,
- Pour in the chicken broth, rice and tomatoes and simmer till rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add the reserved sausage, okra and shredded chicken and cook till hot. Check for seasonings and add salt if desired. Sprinkle with fresh thyme to serve.