Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili
This unusual, pepper filled chicken chili is ALWAYS a hit!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup, Chicken
- Method: Saute, Simmer
- Cuisine: Entree, Soup
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 bell peppers, chopped (I used 2 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled plum tomatoes with juice, I use San Marzano
- 1/4 cup basil, minced
- 4–6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped OR 3-4 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts, roasted
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream to garnish, optional
- Cook the onions in the olive oil till translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add peppers and seasonings (except for fresh basil)and cook for about a minute. Add tomatoes with juice, and use spatula to cut into bite sized pieces. Cook 20 minutes. Add chicken and basil and simmer about 20-60 more minutes. I used to cook this the shorter amount of time, but find the flavor develops even more if you have time to cook for at least an hour. Just add back in some water if it reduces to much.
- Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and sour cream.
Adapted from Ina Garten.