These scrumptious Cheesecake Filled Chocolate Chip Bars are filled with a rich cheesecake layer that pushes these chocolate chip cookie bars over the top!
Cheesecake Filled Chocolate Chip Bars
The food dynamics in our household have taken a sudden shift. Two of the chocoholics have moved out (my youngest to college and my oldest to live with his hipper compatriots), so the rich, dense chocolate desserts will now be baked mainly for family gatherings.<
The vanilla ice cream, cheesecake lovin’ daughter is now queen of the house, and apparently queen of the kitchen, too. Her likes are a huge consideration in determining which goodies appear on our dessert menu. So as a compromise to her and her father, a combination of cheesecake and chocolate cookies was baked up for dessert!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dessert
Miss Katie will eat my chocolate chip bars..she prefers them freshly baked or zapped for a few seconds in the microwave to get the chocolate melty. I have filled brownies with candy, swirled in cream cheese and topped them with a thick layer of icing. Why not do the same with my chocolate chip bars?
So I pressed have a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough into a 9 x 13 pan, spread a layer of cheesecake like batter on top, then finished with the rest of the dough. Katie brought a group of friends home after dinner out…and they came up to the kitchen looking for a treat. I offered up this chocolate chip cookie dessert, and received oohs and ahs in return. Yup, they were a big success.
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugars. Mix in eggs, then vanilla. Stir in salt, then baking soda. Add flour and mix till combined. Mix in chocolate chips. Place dough in refrigerator while preparing filling.
- With a hand mixer, beat cream cheese till smooth. Mix in sugar, then egg and vanilla.
- Set aside.
- Remove about half the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Put the dough into the prepared pan. Grease rubber spatula with cooking spray and press dough into an even layer over bottom of pan. Spread cream cheese filling over top of dough. Remove the rest of the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Take heaping tablespoonful and flatten dough between your hands. Place the thin piece of dough over filling and continue with the rest of the dough. You do not need to completely cover filling. Beware: the dough is sticky and hard to handle. You may want to dust your hands with flour.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or till top is golden brown. Cool thoroughly before cutting. Store in refrigerator.
Adapted from Heat Oven to 350
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g