Casa d’Angelo Salad
We still have tins of Christmas cookies and peppermint bark cluttering the kitchen counter top. A salad sounded so inviting after the holiday overdose of sugar and butter. When Kate of Kate’s Kitchen raved about this Casa d’Angelo Salad in her New Year’s post, I knew it would be a fabulous addition to any meal. Kate is a wonderful food blogger in my hometown of Indianapolis…her husband plays bridge with a friend of mine and we connected through our blogs. You’ll have to check out the huge shindig she’s planning…the food sounds amazing…80 dishes for 160+ guests…I’m in awe. I’m so lucky that I’ll get to meet Kate on Friday!
I made a half of her recipe, but doubled up on the red bell pepper and threw in some artichoke hearts the second day. I think I’d skip the Romano next time, but that’s a personal preference. This is reminiscent of a Caesar salad…you can shake it up any way you’d like…I know you’ll be delighted if you try this Casa d’Angelo Salad. Thanks, my friend!
- 1/2 tin anchovies, plus half the oil (1 oz)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons garlic salt or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (I think you could omit this)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Canned or marinated artichoke hearts (optional)
- Put the anchovies and their oil, vinegar, oregano, pepper, sugar, garlic and cornstarch into blender. Blend till liquefied, then slowly add olive oil and continue to blend till emulsified.
- Put lettuce in serving bowl, top with peppers, onions, cheeses and artichoke hearts. When ready to serve, toss with enough dressing to coat the lettuce. Reserve leftover dressing for another salad.