Caramel Topped Mini Cheesecakes
!Recipes adapted from Making Memories With Your Kids and Cook’s Illustrated
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 28 mins
- Total Time: 58 minutes
- Yield: 12 mini cheesecakes 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cheesecake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar ( a half tablespoon is equal to 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter till well combined. Add a well rounded tablespoon to each muffin cup and tamp mixture into an even layer. Allow to cool while preparing filling.
- Mix cream cheese, sugar and flour on low speed till smooth. Mix in eggs one at a time on low speed, and scrape down sides of bowl after each addition. Add vanilla, sour cream and heavy cream and mix just until combined. If your batter has lots of air bubbles, tap your bowl numerous times on the counter to help remove them. Alternatively, use the paddle attachment of your stand mixer to make batter to minimize air bubbles.
- Divide mixture among muffin cups, but don’t overfill (you may have some extra batter. Bake for 20 – 23 minutes, centers may still be slightly jiggly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 1 hour. Then move to refrigerator and chill 2 hours. Serve chilled with a spoonful of caramel sauce.
- To make microwave caramel, mix sugar, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in a 2 cup capacity Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave till mixture just starts to take on a bit of color, 4-5 minutes. Watch carefully…my previous microwave would burn it at 5 minutes, but my current microwave needs almost a full 5 minutes to get to a pale amber.
- Remove cup to counter where it will continue to bubble and darken to an amber color. Add hot cream a couple tablespoons at a time (it will bubble intensely, so add slowly). When all the cream is added, stir and add in butter. Store in fridge up to 2 weeks.
Total time does not include cooling and chilling time.